Friday, May 14, 2010

Pop-Tart Yogurt Parfait


Pop-Tarts hold a special place in my heart. I never ate them for breakfast; they were reserved for my after-school snack, to be eaten while taking in an episode of Thundercats. Good times.

The box of Pop-Tarts that I purchased today states rather emphatically, Baked with real fruit! But of course then there's an asterisk after that declaration, which adds less emphatically, Filling made with equal to 10% fruit. As a copy editor, I am more outraged by the awkward grammar of that footnote than its content. Anyway, more real fruit would just get in the way of that blue-speckled icing goodness.

For the Pop-Tart yogurt parfait I made for breakfast, I chose Pop-Tarts filled with blueberry, my go-to breakfast pastry flavor. (Although had my supermarket carried Hello Kitty Meowberry--yes, that's real--I certainly would've chosen that.) The process is pretty easy: just layer together crumbled Pop-Tart, yogurt, and fresh fruit, and voila! 


Pop-Tart Yogurt Parfait 

2 Pop-Tarts
6 ounces plain yogurt
2 fresh strawberries, chopped
Handful of fresh blueberries

1. Crumble 1 Pop-Tart, and fill the bottom of an attractive-looking glass with the pieces.

2. Spoon the yogurt into the glass, and top with the fresh berries.

3. Cut the remaining Pop-Tart lengthwise, into sticks. Garnish the parfait with 2 Pop-Tart sticks. Serve immediately. Serves one.

No comments:

Post a Comment